The Steamroller Festival at [Artspace] at Untitled brings the community together through printmaking, family activities, live music, and local flavor! The yearly one-day festival features the printing of large-scale wood blocks, which have been carved by artists leading up to the festival, and printed on Tyvek with a 5 ton steamroller on the day of the event.
This festival is a means of collaboration for people of all ages – young children, high school students, artists, and the general public.
All are welcome to join us on Saturday, April 28th from 10am-6pm for a free printmaking festival in the Deep Deuce district of Oklahoma City! The festival activities, which include artist demonstrations, live printing, food trucks, live music, kids and family activities, pop up shops, and more, will be held indoors and outdoors at [Artspace] and will be followed by April's Deep Deuce Sessions live music event at 7pm, which is also free and open to the public.
Local and regional artists are invited to participate in the main attraction of the festival and print their woodblocks with a steamroller festival on the day of the event! In addition, artists are encouraged to submit their work for this year's woodblock exhibition in our gallery space which will open with a reception on Thursday, April 26th from 5-8pm. Proceeds from the print sales will go towards [Press] programming.
Apply to be an artist
If applying to be included in the curated woodblock exhibition, please send examples of your work to email@example.com.
exhibition fine print
steamroller fine print
- Blocks will be printed at least twice on archival print paper: the artist will receive one print, Artspace will receive one print
- Block size must be 2x4'
- Prints will be on display in the main gallery and available to purchase from April 26th to May 5th
- Artwork should be created in the last 6-8 months - please be creative and don't use your block from last year :)
- Deadline to apply: Saturday, February 10th
- Deadline to bring in completed blocks: Saturday, March 24th
- Blocks will be printed on Tyvek sheets, with a maximum of 2 prints per block
- Minimum block size: 2x4', maximum block size: 4x8'
- We recommend 3/4" MDF blocks
- Prints will be hung up to dry and displayed during the festival with an opportunity to be purchased
- Artspace will receive 25% commission on prints sold during festival
- $10 application fee is due with submission to cover paper & ink costs (waived for students)
- Deadline to apply: Saturday, April 14th
The first steamroller festival held at Untitled in 2013 brought over 200 visitors to Deep Deuce with no advertising. In 2017, we reached out to local businesses and organizations to help us host a Cinco de Mayo mixology party the night before the festival, which featured live music, a meet & greet with the Big Ink artists, and food & drink from some of Oklahoma City's best establishments. With the help of our amazing artists, volunteers, sponsors and collaborators we were able to produce an all-day festival where over 60 artists we able to print and display their work, including high school students from our Mentorship Program, college students and artists from across the state and region.
Our hope is to grow the festival into an annual event that spans across multiple locations in the Deep Deuce neighborhood and draws people in from all over Oklahoma City and the state.
Thank you to our generous 2017 Sponsors + Collaborators